Candle Safety 101
1. It's important to always keep candles in a well-ventilated area. This will help prevent the buildup of harmful gases and reduce the risk of fire. When lighting a candle, make sure that it is on a stable surface and out of reach of children and pets.
2. Keep the wick trimmed to the appropriate length. A long wick can cause the candle to burn too hot, which can lead to a fire. The wick should be trimmed to about ¼ inch before lighting. A hint that your wick is burning unsafely, is if the flame is over one inch tall and/or "dancing" fast.
3. Never leave a candle burning unattended. This is especially important if you are leaving the room or going to sleep. If you need to leave the room, blow out the candle and if you're going to sleep, make sure to put the candle out before going to bed.
4. Use appropriate candle holders. The holder should be heat-resistant and large enough to catch any wax that may drip. Also, be sure that the holder is stable and won't tip over easily.
5. Be aware of the risks of burns and fire when using candles. Be sure to keep candles away from flammable materials such as curtains, paper, or anything that can catch fire easily.
6. When shopping for candles, make sure to choose high-quality candles made with natural wax and essential oils. These types of candles are less likely to produce harmful chemicals when burned. Also, make sure to check the label for any warning signs or instructions.
In conclusion, candles can add a warm and inviting ambiance to any room, but they must be used safely. By following these safety tips, you can enjoy the ambiance and fragrance of candles without worrying about accidents. It's also important to always read the label and instructions before using any candles, and to be aware of any warning signs. Remember, always be safe when using candles and enjoy the warm and inviting ambiance they provide.
Candle Cleaning and Care
Proper candle maintenance is crucial to ensure safety and prolong the life of your candles. Here are some tips to follow:
Trim the wick: Trimming the wick to about 1/4 inch before lighting the candle can prevent the candle from smoking and also make the flame burn more steadily. A longer wick can cause the flame to flicker and smoke, which can be dangerous. Additionally, a longer wick can also cause the candle to burn too quickly, reducing the life of the candle.
Keep the wax pool clear: As the candle burns, a pool of wax will form around the wick. It is important to keep this pool clear of debris, such as wick trimmings or matches, to prevent the candle from smoking or catching fire. Removing debris also ensures the candle burns evenly and prolongs the life of the candle.
Burn in moderation: Candles have "memories", therefore, the first burn is the most important. The melt pool should reach all sides on a vessel, for example, for continued optimized burns. Each candle would be different.
Overburning a candle can cause the wax to melt unevenly, release harmful chemicals into the air, and also decrease the life of the candle. To prevent this, it is best to burn a candle for no more than 4 hours at a time and allow it to cool completely before relighting. It is also recommended to let the candle burn for long enough to allow the wax pool to reach the edges of the container, this helps prevent tunnelling and ensure even burning.
Keep the candle out of drafts: A draft can cause a candle to burn unevenly or to flicker excessively, which can be dangerous. To prevent this, keep your candle away from open windows, air vents, and fans. A draft can also cause the candle to burn too quickly and decrease the life of the candle.
Store in a cool, dry place: To prolong the life of your candles, store them in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight or heat sources. This will help prevent the wax from melting or becoming discolored. Also, excessive humidity can cause the wick to become too soft, making it harder to light and burn unevenly.
By following these simple tips, you can ensure your candle burns safely, releases less soot, and prolongs its life. Remember to always keep an eye on your candle when it's burning and never leave it unattended, this will help prevent any accidents.
Find beautiful hand poured soy candles and wax melts made with top quality products at LOVEKimmy Catalog today. Add a touch of elegance and warmth to any room with my candle collection. Made with top-quality soy wax and essential oils, these are a real treat for yourself or your loved ones. Don't miss out on my special bulk discount and large array of scents to indulge in. Shop at LOVEKimmy Catalog for the best deals on hand poured soy candles today!
White label, wholesale, and custom orders/ labels welcome!